poll: Who Should Be Rhode Island’s Next Governor?
Saturday, September 07, 2013
Who Should Be Rhode Island’s Next Governor?
- 359 vote - Ken Block
- 358 vote - Angel Taveras
- 250 vote - Allan Fung
- 141 vote - Gina Raimondo
Instead of a three-way Democratic Primary and the winner facing a likely GOP candidate and Moderate party leader Ken Block, the campaign, as we know it, has changed.
The following factors are now in place:
1) While Chafee’s exit may make the decision for many progressives easier in the Democratic primary, as they no longer have to choose between Chafee and Providence Mayor Angel Taveras, it does create a strategic opportunity for Gina Raimondo.
Raimondo can use her sizable fundraising advantage to pound Taveras’ record on increased crime and horrible schools. Look for ads on TV and online along the lines of, "If you like what he has done for Providence, he is going to do it to your town.”
As of the last reporting period, Raimondo had 3X the money of Taveras, 8 times Fung, and 27 that of Block.
2) Block is now a factor. With Chafee out of the race, John Chafee moderates will look for a place to go. Block has two choices: he could primary Fung in the GOP column or stay moderate and wait for a battered Democrat to jump into the race.
3) No incumbent means a more vicious race. Before last Wednesday, most of the field was going to run against Chafee and now they must run against one another. Early efforts to define themselves that will quickly transition into “comparisons” against one another.
Of the likely candidates for Governor, who will you vote for?
- Do RI Voters Want to Decide Gay Marriage at the Polls?
- EXCLUSIVE: Fox Floods Polls with State Workers
- GoLocal Poll: Is Tebow Signing Good for the Patriots?
- In Case You Missed It: RI’s Most Polluted Lakes + Ponds
- LISTEN: RI’s Most Polluted Lakes, Ponds, and Reservoirs
- LIVE: Crowdwire Social Media Exit Poll
- Media Experts Question Pollster’s Dual Roles for Speaker and Media
- NEW POLL: Shows Raimondo Over Chafee and Doherty Over Taveras
- NEW: Brown Poll Says Most RI Voters Support Same-Sex Marriage
- NEW: Central Falls Mayoral Candidate Opposes Reducing Polling Place
- NEW: Kilmartin Joins Multi-State Coalition in Action to Curb Climate Change Pollution
- NEW: Long Lines at Polls on East Side
- NEW: Right to Vote Guaranteed to Those in Line at the Polls
- NEW: West Warwick Polling Place Up and Running After Getting Wrong Ballots
- New Gallup Poll Shows 38% of Americans Have Tried Marijuana
- POLL: Do You Support Gist’s Contract Extension?
- Poll: Most Rhode Islanders Support Ban on Assault Weapons
- Poll: Who Would You Vote For In A Democratic Primary?
- RI’s Central Landfill Named To 2012 “Dirty Dozen” Worst Polluters
- Rhode Island’s Most Polluted Lakes, Ponds + Reservoirs
- SUPER POLL: David Cicilline v Brendan Doherty
- State Report: Medical Pot, Central Falls Corruption & Educating Poll Workers
- What is Rhode Island’s Best Hospital? Take Our Exclusive Poll